"live each day as if he deploys tomorrow"


Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Count me in



"Don't measure the distance; measure my love."



When my husband was in fourth grade he drew a picture and wrote a paper titled "when I grow up I want to be G.I. Joe". Shortly after his 18th birthday he left home to make his dream come true. He joined the United States Marine Corps and was serving with 1st Battalion 8th Marines in Iraq on his 20th and 21st birthdays. He didn't seem to mind that he was missing presents, family, and cake. He is an extraordinary, selfless man. On his 22nd birthday we had a huge celebration planned. We were to spend his birthday drinking and eating with our family and friends. Instead, we spent the day sitting in a room at the Liberty Inn eating Bojangles because of a flaw in some paperwork. We did finally arrive to Massachusetts where we spent three years on recruiting duty. My husband was a very successful recruiter, shaking hands and kissing babies. But it was primarily a desk job and in the end not his cup of tea. After careful consideration of leaving the military to take a civilian job, he re-enlisted. When my husband reported to the 2d battalion 8th marines I began to see him less and less. It is harder than you can imagine to share my husband with the Marine Corps. Even when he's home, he's rarely "home". It started with over night field trainings several days a week, accompanied with an occasional 24 hr duty, and 30 day trainings in VA and CA, followed by a very difficult deployment in 2009 and another in 2011. This summer will make 3 out of 5 wedding anniversaries that he has missed. We've sacrificed Christmas, thanksgiving, graduations, and even funerals. I guess the most shocking part of it all is that I would do it again. Exactly the same way. We have met the most amazing people on our journey. I can't describe the friendships and bonds you build with other marines, wives, moms, and some that have no affiliation with the military at all. I am certain that I would have never crossed paths with these terrific men and woman if I had chosen the easy way out and stayed in Hendersonville, NC. Of course I miss my parents, brothers, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, nephews and friends! I am lucky to have their support. They understand why I am who I am, why I love being a Marine wife. They are equally proud and amazed by husband. He is our hero. Our journey is only beginning. As we grow closer to homecoming a new adventure awaits. This year on my husbands 28th birthday he got to call home. The first words he spoke to me were alarming. "Are you sitting down?" Not what I had planned for. I was thinking more along the lines of "Happy Birthday!". He quickly informed me that the Marine Corps gave him a present. Orders to California. He was afraid I would panic and all though I had never planned for a move to the west coast, I became excited! Relieved almost. The future is never guaranteed and even more uncertain with the military. We don't have the luxury of planning things like some families. It's nice knowing where we are headed next. No matter where the road leads us I will always stand by my Marine. I will always be at home waiting for him, loving him... even if he spends every birthday with the Marine Corps.




1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful! I pray God's blessings and safety for you both in the future. Wish we could meet you both before your next adventure. You're a beautiful and very special couple and it's been a privilege to have been able to "meet" you, even though it hasn't been in person! I feel very fortunate to have had our paths cross and we owe it all to Reta and her dedication to "our boys" in the service to our country. Please stay in touch and keep us posted on your "adventures" in the future.

    Karen from Mud Creek Baptist Church

    ReplyDelete