"live each day as if he deploys tomorrow"


Sunday, April 3, 2011

Warfighter


For my husband Anibal Paz, the greatest man I know.


While some of my brothers sit in their rooms and play,

I'm on the frontline shouting orders, on my knees to St. Michael I pray.


No time to worry about showers, food, or my mail that is months late.

On my mind is staying alive til my homecoming date.


Did you hear about the guy that stayed inside the wire?

He rates my same medal, though we know he's a liar.


Why do I do this job I do? Not for awards. Not for praise.

Out here I am bigger than myself, I do it for the pride that my infantry heart craves.


I carry a rifle named after my wife.

That's all I need in my warfighter life.


If you don't believe me this far,

Go on, type my name into your Google search bar.





By: Connie Paz

No comments:

Post a Comment