"live each day as if he deploys tomorrow"


Saturday, May 28, 2011

Best Freakin Friend





In every friendship there are different needs and purposes. You have those friends that you can cry to. The friends that will kick you when your down, providing just enough motivation to get you back on your feet. There are always the friends that run up your phone bill and the ones that only call when they need a favor. Then, there are the friends that you will never forget.







For instance, when I was a child my idol, my hero, and my best friend was my Granny. Blanch Eula Carlisle. She was a tiny little blue eyed white haired lady that treated me like a princess. She taught me to never take no for an answer and that nothing in life is free. She tucked me in every night and whipped me with a hickory switch every day. She never called me Connie. Not once. There is not a doubt in my mind that Granny watches over me from heaven. She was special to so many of my friends.


When I was about 7 years old my friend Carrie got to experience the love of my Granny. Carrie and I had the same long blonde hair. My mom loved giving us french braids. We both loved to play outside on my families farm. We didn't usually get into mischief but there was this once- when we sprayed silly string and fake snow on everything in my bedroom. Carrie was the kind of friend that would wear matching outfits to school with me and go shopping at the thrift store with my Granny on Saturdays. Sadly one day Carrie changed schools and we rarely saw eachother as teenageers or adults.



I was home schooled most of middle school and lucky for me during my transition to highschool I had another fabulous friend, my cousin Pharon. We talked about boys and subscribed to teen magazines. We fought over Devin Sawa (yes the kid from Casper) and we stayed up late giggling in the dark and getting yelled at by our parents. We used to call her dog Sampson in the middle of the night to protect us from the gobblings. Because Pharon is family we never really grew apart but as life happened we took different paths.







During my first semester of highschool I took a dance class. On the first dayI noticed a stuck up skinny girl on crutches (apparently she had dropped a bucket of ice cream on her foot at her after school job). I saw that same tall thin girl on my bus that afternoon. She was irritating. As my worst nightmare would have it - she got off at MY bus stop. The same bus stop that said "Carlisle Drive",how dare she?! I approached this loud, eccentric,pretty person and... I fell totally in love with her. And her family. Almost 13 years later Josie is still one of my nearest and dearest friends. I call her the bestest. Her mom is my mama Judy. Her sisters Brandy and Sasha are those I always wanted. Her step dad gives me the best hugs! Not to mention Josie's son Adin is the first child to ever call me "aunt". There are not words to describe how much I miss them all.



On May 16th 2009 my husband was deploying to Afghanistan. I really didnt want to stand alone waiving goodbye to those buses as they drove away with the person I loved the most. I called up a childhood friend who lives local and ask for a favor. Even though we attended the same elementary school, middle school, high school and even youth cheerleading, I hadn't seen this girl, well, woman, since graduation. Yet there she was. By my side. Prepared to wipe my tears and hold my hand. How do you thank a person like that? Samantha and I are practically inseparable. We talk on the phone every day. I'm not referring to text, I'm talking about "good ol' on the phone laughing at lame jokes" talk. She knows all of my secrets, regrets, promises, and wishes. I could call her in the middle of the night and she would run over a convoy of gate gaurds to get to me.



Then of course there is the man that makes me feel like the luckiest woman in the world. My husband. He can always make me smile. He makes me feel beautiful even on my worst day. He laughs at my corny jokes and he thinks my accent is cute. I look up to him more than any person can imagine. He is an amazing dancer, kisser, video game player, mess maker, order giver, and even a more incredible friend.



I wish I could mention every single one of my friends by name and recall all of the memories that we've had together but I would be here an eternity. I've grown as a person because of you all. You are the best freakin friends ever.




No comments:

Post a Comment